UpsnDowns offers fully funded one-to-one weekly swimming lessons in Kettering, Corby, Northampton and Wellingborough to children aged 2 and over.
Two of our members have recently started swimming lessons. You can see by their faces in the photos that they are loving it.
Olivia is 6 and Matilda has just turned 4.
Children with Down’s Syndrome in general are born with lower muscle tone (hypotonia) and swimming is a very effective way to build gross motor skills and core stability. It offers many other health and recreational benefits such as:
- Building endurance, muscle strength and cardiovascular fitness
- Improving muscle tone, as nearly all muscles are used during swimming
- Helping to maintain a healthy weight, heart and lungs
- Improving coordination, balance and posture
- Improving flexibility
- Swimming offers a low impact therapy
- Offering opportunities to meet people, join clubs
- Learning a valuable life skill
- Benefiting mental health as it helps relieve stress and tension.
It is vital that we continue with fundraising activities to be able to provide these fantastic services to our members.
Every year, swimming lessons cost UpsnDowns £3000. As a charity, we believe this is money very well spent.
If you would like to make a donation today, please click here. Thank you so much for your support.
Photos to appear with blog